2015 MD HB 1145, sponsored by Delegate Frush, proposes to establish a State Board of Tree Experts. The Board will be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
This bill proposes to establish licensure for tree experts, with examinations at least once per year and establishes criteria for a license:
(C) THE BOARD SHALL ISSUE A TREE EXPERT LICENSE TO AN APPLICANT WHO:
(1) IS AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE;
(2) (I) HAS HAD 2 YEARS OF APPROVED COLLEGE EDUCATION IN FORESTRY, ARBORICULTURE, HORTICULTURE, APPLIED AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES, OR THE EQUIVALENT EDUCATION AND A MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR OF EXPERIENCE UNDER THE RESPONSIBLE CHARGE OF A LICENSED TREE EXPERT IN THE STATE OR WITH AN ACCEPTABLE TREE EXPERT BUSINESS IN ANOTHER STATE; OR
(II) FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE DATE OF APPLICATION HAS BEEN ENGAGED CONTINUOUSLY IN PRACTICE AS A TREE EXPERT UNDER THE RESPONSIBLE CHARGE OF A LICENSED TREE EXPERT IN THE STATE OR WITH AN ACCEPTABLE TREE EXPERT BUSINESS IN ANOTHER STATE;
(3) HAS PASSED THE EXAMINATION GIVEN BY THE BOARD; AND
(4) PAYS THE FEE PROVIDED IN § 22–304(A) OF THIS SUBTITLE.
In order to keep one’s license, the licensee must:
(3) AFTER SEPTEMBER 1, 2017, TO QUALIFY FOR THE RENEWAL OF A TREE EXPERT LICENSE, A LICENSED TREE EXPERT SHALL COMPLETE THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CURRICULUM ESTABLISHED BY THE BOARD BY REGULATION.