The 2014 session is over and this post is for information purposes, only.
SB 1092, sponsored by Senator Jennings, proposes to exclude certain sales of raw milk from certain State regulation of milk products. The bill imposes regulations on the seller of raw milk, implemented by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Agriculture.
- A written contract must exist between the seller and buyer
- Raw milk retail containers must bear a, “warning statement” that the milk is unpasteurized
- All animals in the herd must be tested for certain diseases
- Milk producers must take milk samples each month and test for certain contaminants
- The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will adopt and establish regulations
- Specific steps must be followed for milking and storage
Overall, this bill is a positive step in consumer choice.
Hearing 3/6, 11:00 a.m.